What is a 'Cohort Analysis'?
Cohort is a subset of viewers who share the same characteristics. In your report, the cohort analysis is showing you the ‘acquisition month’, or the month that your viewer signed up.
How to read my Cohort Analysis?
If you are using Cleeng Core, this feature is already part of your entitlement. Note the Cohort Analysis ONLY tracks viewers who signed up in the past 12 months. If you have specific needs in analyzing the viewers who signed up prior to 12 months ago, you can download the ‘Subscriber report’ to build your customized Cohort Analysis or contact your account manager for further analysis.
• Important to know that both FREE and PAID viewers are counted in the cohorts.
Understand Your Cohort Analysis:
- The Cohort Analysis allows you to isolate and analyze viewer retention behaviour, group by group apart from your viewer base as a whole.
- You can monitor and compare the retention patterns clearly across the full life-cycle of viewers.
Ways of using the Cohort Analysis:
1. How to read it?
2. Meaning of the cells
3. Understanding your viewer base
Example: Data show is based on your viewers base in May
54% of Viewers signed up in January are still active after 4 months
59% of Viewers signed up in February are still active after 3 months
63% of Viewers signed up in March are still active after 2 months
78% of Viewers signed up in April are still active after a month
In May, you have 67 new Viewers sign up
• In May, your viewer base consists of the above cohorts. (this only includes cohorts in the past 6 months)
4. Comparing Cohorts
Now, the April cohort seems to have a lower retention rate and it’s time to figure out the reason and take action! For example the decrease may be due to the end of a sporting season or a lack of new content.
Cleeng is very aware that viewer churn is a reality that every Broadcaster and content owner has to deal with. This is the reason why Churn IQ was developed and is so important and can be vital it providing information that may help you to redeem churned viewers but also to improve your revenue. To learn more about Churn IQ, read here.
- For any further questions, please contact the Cleeng Customer Success Team