How to Avoid Chargebacks?
- How Cleeng Merchant helps to minimize and even prevent chargebacks?
- What happens if a chargeback is awarded to the viewer?
- European and American chargeback guidelines
What is a chargeback?
Whether you are using Merchant our have your own payment provider, chargebacks can still affect your business. A chargeback occurs when a credit cardholder contacts their bank to initiate a refund for a purchase made on their credit card. Chargebacks arise for a variety of reasons: a cardholder is dissatisfied with their purchase, charges were made illegally on their card or they have changed their mind.
A number of chargebacks are a result of a fraud: some of them are caused by an unauthorized use of the stolen card or the cardholder is purposely seeking to dispute a legitimate purchase they made.
Chargebacks exist to protect viewers and help protect against card charges that occur without the consent of a card owner. This means that Cleeng as the official vendor for your content cannot prevent chargebacks from happening (actually - no online merchant can). But we do dispute the chargebacks and we sometimes win.
How Cleeng Merchant helps to minimize and even prevent chargebacks?
The best way to deal with chargebacks is to prevent them from happening in the first place.
• Firstly we suggesting providing an accurate descriptions of your products on your website. We show how to do it here
• Once Cleengs finance team has been informed of a chargeback claim, we respond to the financial institution as quickly as possible and provide them with proof of customer receipts and additional information to show the customer received the service they paid for. A limited amount of time is available to resolve a chargeback.
• If Cleeng is successful in defending the chargeback the customer will be notified by their financial institution and the claim will be closed
• On average 50% of chargebacks are successfully defended
What happens if a chargeback is awarded to the viewer?
If a financial institution awards a chargeback in favour of the viewer:
• The funds are automatically deducted from Cleeng and paid back to the viewer
• Cleeng automatically updates your financial information within the dashboard (you will be able to see this within your cancellation report)
• The viewers access is automatically revoked
Please see the European and American chargeback guidelines:
- For any further questions, please contact the Cleeng Customer Success Team