Active Subscribers is the most important non-financial metric for your subscription business. The trajectory of this number over time reflects the trajectory of your business generally. You can find your current active subscriber count in the:
- Subscriber Evolution Dashboard in the Subscribe step of the Retention Journey
- Offer Subscribers Dashboard in the Offer step of the Retention Journey
The total number of subscribers (customers who bought a subscription offer) who have an active content entitlement (free or paid) at any point in time.
The Subscriber view filter at the top of the dashboard enables you to differentiate between free and paid Active Subscribers:
- Paid subscriber view: The total number of subscribers who are paying for an active content entitlement at any point in time.
- Free subscriber view: The total number of subscribers who have an active content entitlement for which they are NOT paying at any point in time.
Note that charts that display your subscriber count for monthly increments will take the active subscriber count from 23:59:59 on the last day of the month. This is to support end-of-month reconciliation. At a daily level, the active subscriber count is normally for the beginning of that day, ie. 00:00:00.
Good to know:
- Active Subscribers also include winbacks, subscribers who canceled but have not yet terminated the entitlement, and 100% discount customers.
- Note that the creation of a new subscription by a currently active subscriber will not be included in this calculation. That action will instead be captured as expanded MRR from that customer. Trial subscribers are included unless you use the 'paid' subscriber view.