Before we proceed.
As aforementioned, when your checkout and user account environment (MyAccount) is developed based on the MediaStore SDK you will have all necessary endpoints for the various features.
- The hierarchy should be clearly defined which offer can be upgraded to which one.
- Proper configuration is required in the Dashboard. For details, please contact our Broadcaster Success Specialists.
How can the users of my streaming platform upgrade their subscriptions?
Click here to have an idea.
The “Subscription Switch” screens will look different depending on whether you’re using ready-made github components or you have your own “My Account” implementation and use only our API endpoints (then the actual look and feel depends on your implementation).
How does the switch to a higher plan affect the billing date?
If a user of your streaming platform makes a switch, even in the middle of the billing period, he/she will get access to the new, upgraded plan instantly, but he/she will be charged the new price on the next billing date.
We had many options for payment billing, however, delayed payment is adopted as the standard practice across the OTT industry. Mainstream OTT providers like Netflix adopted a similar strategy. Pro-rata billing is another option, however, this logic would cause significant data issues with accounting and KPI reporting. Delayed payment simplifies the complex logic and keeps it simple for the end-users.
How do coupons work when a customer changes an offer?
- Do coupons transfer between subscriptions?
If the new subscription is eligible within the relevant coupon campaign, then the customer’s coupon will transfer to the new subscription. For example:
- Customer has a 50% off coupon that applies to 2 periods
- After one period (and one discounted transaction), the customer changes to a new subscription
- The first transaction on the new offer will be discounted by 50%
If the new subscription is not associated with the campaign, then the coupon will not apply to payments for the new subscription.
- Can I provide a coupon discount to incentivize customer upgrades?
Yes. For example, you may want to offer a small discount to motivate monthly subscribers to upgrade to an annual subscription. In this case, create a coupon campaign that applies only to the annual subscription. The customer should then take the following steps:
- Switch to the annual subscription in My Account
- Then apply their coupon
- The discount will apply to their payment for the new subscription
Will upgrades distort my reporting/analytics?
Many platforms struggle with subscription upgrades. This is because platforms usually recognize the end of the old subscription as churn. Therefore metrics like churn rate and MRR churn are distorted. Even worse, customers are included in marketing campaigns that target churned subscribers.
Fortunately, ChurnIQ’s data model recognizes subscription upgrades as distinct events. So the old subscription won’t be identified as having churned. Nor will the new subscription be reported as a new acquisition. Instead, these ‘switches’ are captured independently. And they are excluded from metrics like subscriber churn and net subscriber growth.